1. Donna Reed or June Cleaver?
Donna Reed. There’s a little darkness in that show and in her. Donna knows what’s going on and shes pulling the strings. (In one episode a neighbor says she yells at her kids, Donna doesn’t approve and jokes.. “I use a rubber hose, it’s just as effective and doesn’t leave any marks.”)
2. Do you ever drink and draw or partake in any other vices while making comics??
A shorter list would be, “what don’t I do?” Kidding…all I’ve got time for is endless pots of coffee.
3. For Lady Killer 2, you have Josie and the rest of the Schuller family relocating to Cocoa Beach, Florida, and now she’s a freelance killer for hire while still playing dutiful wife at home.
What else can you share with us about the new series?
We get into character’s past lives, we meet some new characters and Josie finds herself in some seriously sticky situations.
4. What was the last good movie you’ve seen?
I just watched Goodfellas last night for the first time. I thought it was hilarious..
5. Any mainstream comic book characters you’d like to take a stab at?(No pun intended!) And, did you read & collect comics growing up??
I didn’t really collect that much.. I just read whatever my brother brought home. Lots of Punisher. I’ve got a shortlist of characters I’d like to work on but the at the top of the list at the moment is Catwoman. I think she’d be a hoot to draw!
6. I imagine while writing & drawing Lady Killer you let your mind go to some pretty dark places, but what about away from the studio? Like, if someone cuts you off in traffic or is just being a jerk in general, are you secretly fantasizing how you(or Josie) could be “taking them out”??
Hey, I’m a pacifist in real life..I get it all out on the page. I’m a very patient person because of that…until the internet goes down.
7. Describe your worst dating experience.
I once went out on a date with a guy and he wanted me to dine and dash…. we got married three years later. KIDDING.. the date was over at that point.
8. Let’s be honest, Lady Killer is made for Hollywood. You’ve got the sexy mixed with violence, and it’s a period piece, too! So, would you like to break any big movie/TV development news here at the Comics Tavern??
If you had your druthers, who would like playing Josie in a live-action adaptation?
Nothing I can report on right now. Lips are sealed.
I go back and forth on who I’d like to see play Josie.. I’ve always thought Rose Byrne would be great!
9. Have you had any funny or embarrassing moments at comics conventions/book signings/etc?
At least once at every convention I’m asked “When is Joel coming back? Are you his girlfriend?” That’s always fun.
10. What else do you have going on in 2016 and beyond?
I have plans to be VERY busy for the next three years but I can’t talk about any of it!
Also, here’s a great video interview with Joëlle Jones where she discusses breaking into comics and her creative process:
Thank you, Joëlle!
Interview date: July. 2016 – A. Yates